VOICE Working Groups
VOICE currently facilitates two standing thematic working groups on EU humanitarian aid policy and practice, namely on the FPA and on Disaster Risk Reduction. In these groups, VOICE members come together to develop common advocacy messages, create joint initiatives, and share experience and information.
In addition, VOICE has ad hoc working groups which are time-limited. These only meet a few times to finalise a certain advocacy product or develop input to a particular EU consultation process.
All groups are facilitated by the VOICE Secretariat together with several VOICE members. Only the FPA Watch Group is accessible to non-VOICE members.
FPA Watch Group
There is an on-going consultation between the Humanitarian Aid department of the European Commission, DG ECHO, and its partners on the Framework Partnership Agreement. This consultation happens through the FPA Watch Group.
For more information on the FPA Watch Group, please consult the dedicated page on this subject.
Working Group on Disaster Risk Reduction
The VOICE working group on Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) was established in March 2007. Since then, it has established itself as the main reference point for EU Institutions with NGOs on DRR policy and practice.
The group's overarching goal is to contribute to and improve EU policy and practice on Disaster Risk Reduction mainstreaming within the context of the implementation of the Hyogo Framework for Action.
* Ensuring Sustainable Development: The need to invest in disaster risk reduction - joint CSO statement (June 2015)
* VOICE open letter to Commissioner Georgieva and Commissioner Stylianides on the Post-2015 DRR Framework Agreement (11 March 2015)* Joint Statement by Civil Society Coalitions on the Implementation of the Post-2015 Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction (2015)
* Joint Paper post-HFA 2013 (May 2013)
* VOICE series on Disaster Risk Reduction (Spring 2013)
* Position Paper on 'DRR: a fundamental element of building resilience' (2012)
* Please consult here the Group's recommendations on DRR and Climate Change Adaptation (2009)
VOICE Ad hoc Working Groups
VOICE currently has ad hoc working groups/task forces on the European Consensus on Humanitarian Aid, the long term EU budget (Multi-Annual Financial Framework 2014-2020) and on Linking Relief Rehabilitation and Development (latter one together with CONCORD).
Working Group on EU civil-military relations - now closed
The VOICE working group on EU civil-military relations (2008-2011) aimed to safeguard and strengthen humanitarian operational space by promoting humanitarian principles and the respect of International Humanitarian Law.
* Please consult here the Group's recommendations on humanitarian civil-military relations. The recommendations should be read with reference to the lexicon, which aims to create a common understanding of key concepts in interactions between NGOs and the military.
At the end of 2011, the working group was closed but remains as a group with reference people on humanitarian-military relations who exchange info. The group can become an ad hoc working group if EU advocacy is needed.
Ad Hoc Working Group on UN-led Humanitarian Reform - now closed
A large interest from members in the UN-led humanitarian reform process and the upcoming meeting of the Global Humanitarian Platform in February 2010 resulted in the establishment a VOICE ad hoc working group on UN-led humanitarian reform in 2009. The aim was to develop a position paper based on the following lead question:“How can the European Consensus on Humanitarian Aid contribute to the humanitarian reform process to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of humanitarian response for crises affected populations?”.
The position paper was launched in October 2010. Please find it here.
Note to VOICE members: For more information and key documents of these working groups, you can check the dedicated pages on the VOICE extranet!